Transaction Services Skip navigation links
About us
Frequently Asked Questions




For additional questions, please contact a local District Office or Main Office at 303-866-3454.

How do I find out who leases a particular piece of state trust land? top
Contact the district office with the Legal Description (Section, Township and Range) or visit our Data Services page to access our online map server. 

I want to lease state trust land. What is available? 
Contact the district office for the area you are interested in. In addition, expiring lease reports are sent to the local county Clerk and Recorder offices and posted on the State Land Board website on a quarterly basis:

I am interested in bidding on state trust land that is currently leased to another person. What is involved? top
First, find out when the lease expires. You can call or visit our offices to obtain this information. Fill out an application and submit your best and highest bid to the appropriate district office no later than 180 days prior to lease expiration. The District Office will then evaluate each applicant based on stewardship, revenue and stability of the local agricultural community. For more detailed information download the forms from the Field Operations Forms and Documents page:

How do I assign my state trust agricultural lease and what will it cost? top
Please refer to the Guidelines for Agricultural Lease Assignments.  Applications are available at the district offices or for download from the Field Operations Forms and Documents page:

How do I get a obtain of a state trust lease? top
Contact the district office by phone or email or come into the Main Office at: 1127 Sherman Street, Room 300, Denver, CO 80203.

Please explain the methodology for grazing rate increases. top
The Board tracks grazing rates through a statewide survey of private leases, conducted by either the USDA/Colorado Agricultural Statistics Service (CASS) or the Colorado State University Extension Agricultural and Business Management Department. A survey is typically conducted once every three years. Using this data, the Board may adjust rates to reflect the changes in private rates. The Board adopted a tiered grazing rate structure effective January 1, 2016. See the 2016 Grazing Rate Chart.

How are Dry Crop rents calculated? top
Rent on leases with dry crop production is adjusted annually, reflecting the average county wheat production during the past ten years. The Board’s intent is to keep dry crop rental rates in line with private lease rates.

What are the various types of leaseholds and the supporting legal documents required? top
Please refer to the Leasehold Definitions.  Contact the district office with specific questions.

What action is required when a lessee passes away? top
It is important that the district office of the State Land Board receives notification in a timely manner. Upon receipt of this notification, the staff will work with the family or personal representative (PR) of the deceased as it concerns the leasehold interest of the deceased. The State Land Board does not have an interest in allowing an Estate to remain as a lessee for an indefinite period and will not renew a lease to an Estate.  Therefore, it is important that the representative of the Estate seek approval from the Board for any action to convey the lease to another party before 240 days prior to expiration. If the lease will expire in less than 240 days, the lease cannot be assigned.

Is there financial assistance available to help manage the noxious weeds on my state lease. top
Contact your district office. Cost-share funds may be available. For technical or planning advice, contact your local county weed manager.

What is the process for filing a Colorado Open Records Request? top
Please refer to the CORA Procedures for details. 

Submit CORA Request Form to:
mail:  State Board of Land Commissioners
CORA Manager
1127 Sherman Street #300
Denver, CO 80203

“No Trespassing” signs are posted on state trust land near me, why? Isn’t this public land? 
The Federal Government endowed the State Trust Lands to Colorado in 1876, the year the Centennial State officially joined the union. Because these lands are held in trust, they are virtually private. As such, they are closed to the public. We lease these lands to collect revenues that are earmarked for eight beneficiaries, the largest of which is the School Trust, benefiting Colorado's K-12 public school system.

What state trust land is available for me to hunt or fish on? top
Most state trust lands are not open to the public. To enter these lands without written permission from the State Land Board is considered trespassing. Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) leases some state trust land and makes these lands available for wildlife related activities through the Public Access Program. For more information about the Public Access Program, please go to CPW's website at:

How do I find out if the property I want to hunt on is state trust land? top
The best hunting resource is the Colorado Hunter's Atlas, provided by Colorado Parks and Wildlife.  Online, this is found at: 

How do I find out who leases the state trust land that I want to hunt on? top
Contact the local district office to find out more details regarding specific parcels not enrolled in the Public Access Program.


For additional questions, please contact a local District Office or Main Office at 303-866-3454.